Locals call it “The Haunted House”.
It was built in 1892 and was used as a mental hospital after World War II until 1970s when it was abandoned.
Tales of ghostly sightings were spread since it was abandoned.
It was told that during the Japanese Occupation of Hong Kong between 1941-1945, the building and the King George V Memorial Park in front were places to carry out execution. Moreover, it was told that some patients with mental illness committed suicide inside the building and turned to be ghosts in it.
Since it was remained unoccupied for over 20 years between 70s and 90s, it was told that some unknown crying sound was heard from the building. Therefore the building became a haunt of curious teenager until the reconstruction as Sai Ying Pun Community Complex.
However, only the north façade of the historic building is restored and preserved during the construction of Sai Ying Pun Community Complex as the historic building is the only specimen of its kind in Hong Kong.
Address: High Street, Sai Ying Pun