This is a walkthrough travel guide of going to Macau from Hong Kong via the HZM bridge.
HZMB Bus (Golden Bus) method (Cheapest method)
This is one of the common ways used by the locals. One of its advantages is the cost is relatively cheaper than taking ferry from Sheung Wan. It operates 24 hours a day.
1. Go to the Hong Kong Port by Airport Bus. It should take around 45-60 minutes, depending on the route and traffic conditions.
The routes are:
B5 (from Sunny Bay),
A11 (from North Point via Wan Chai, Central),
A21 (from Hung Hom Staion, via Tsim Sha Tsui),
A22 (from Lam Tin Station, via Kowloon Bay, Kowloon City, Kwun Tong), A29 (from Po Lam, via Kowloon Bay, Kwun Tong)
A41 (from Sha Tin),
A31 (from Tsuen Wan),
A33X (from Tsuen Mun),
A36 (from Yuen Long),
B4, B6 (from Tung Chung),
A35 (from Mui Wo),
Minibus 901 (from Tung Chung)
2. Pass the immigration and Customs of Hong Kong. Make sure your ID card or passport is ready (and travel Visa to Macau if necessary). It should take 5-10 minutes.
3. Buy the HZMB Bus tickets (It is called the "Gum Ba" in Cantonese, means "Golden Bus", by the locals because of its colour), adult ticket price HKD$65, concession ticket price HKD$33.
Automatic vending machines accept Octopus card, WeChat and Alipay.
**Make sure your octopus card has enough credits(and also enough for the way back). Or you can purchase the tickets from counter by cash . It should take 5-10 minutes.
4. Hop on the bus. Buses depart every 5 minutes or less during peak hour.
5. Cross the bridge. It should take 30-40 minutes.
6. Pass the immigration of Macau. It should take 10-15 minutes because the building is huge. There will be a bit of walking.
7. When you get out of the building, there should be buses and taxis.
If you are planning to visit any casino or resort, you can take the free shuttle bus to Taipa Ferry Terminal and then take free casino shuttle bus.
There are different routes of direct buses from various places in Hong Kong.
1. Between Kwun Tong - Sands Macao/ Venetian Macao/ Parisian Macao. Departs every 30 minutes. (Weekdays: HKD$170, Weekends: $HKD190 per person). The journey should take around 1hour45minutes. You can book the ticket here.
2. Between Prince Edward/ Elements - different casinos in Macao. However their website is not English-speaker-friendly.
*Note that passengers need to get off the bus twice when passing Hong Kong Port and Macau port. You will need to carry your belongings and luggage with you.
HONGKONGUIDE Travel Tips
-If you want to take the bus because you want to see the HZMB bridge and you want to have a day trip to Macau, you can consider going to Macau by bus during daytime, and take the ferry on the way back at night. There are two reasons: not much view to see at night and too much transfers between buses when you are tired.
-If you carry heavy luggage or you are in a rush, take the ferry from Sheung Wan.
-If you take airport bus to Hong Kong Port and take it again from Hong Kong Port on the same day, the bus fare will be halved (by using the same octopus card).
-If you buy HZM bus ticket from Macau Port on the way back by cash at the counter, there is a chance that they may give you change in Macao dollars. You can use octopus card at the counter also.